Name:
Location: Near Reading, Pennsylvania, United States

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Spanish Star Spangled Banner?

OK I have to back-peddle a little bit from my last post. I have found something I agree with President Bush on. I understand the whole immigration argument. I can agree with parts of both sides opinions. My theory is if you are here, you register, and you aren't a criminal in any other way you stay. Than I make the borders as tight as money will allow. End of story.

Two things have pissed me off today though. One was somebody on one of the news channels (some immigrant leader I think) talking about illegals going on strike. The better to round them up I would think.

The other is this Spanish version of our national anthem. That just pisses me off! Called "Nuestro Himno" -- "Our Anthem" -- the Spanish version rewrites some of the English version. For instance, the second stanza says, "My people keep fighting. It's time to break the chains." I'll say no more and let the president speak for me.

"Asked at a news briefing in the Rose Garden on Friday whether he believed the anthem would have the same value in Spanish as it did in English, Mr. Bush said flatly, "No, I don't."
"And I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English," Mr. Bush said. "And they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

Bush Enters Anthem Fight on Language - NYT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home