Name:
Location: Near Reading, Pennsylvania, United States

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Friday, November 09, 2007

Blazing Saddles and Political Correctness

My son Sean is a movie nut just like I am. He had seen all of Mel Brooks' films but somehow had never seen Blazing Saddles, what I think is the best. Sean was home tonight and saw it was going to be on AMC. As it was beginning I told him about this classic scene:

[the Johnsons load their guns and point them at Bart. Bart then points his own pistol at his head]
Bart: Hold it! Next man makes a move, the nigger gets it!
Olson Johnson: Hold it, men. He's not bluffing.
Dr. Sam Johnson: Listen to him, men, he's just crazy enough to do it!
Bart: [lower register] Drop it! Or I swear I'll blow this nigger's head all over this town!

Here is a classic film that was nominated for 3 academy awards and was controversial in its day. We get to the above scene and AMC, in all it's correct glory, muted the n word! Unbelievable! Muted one of the very things that makes it a classic of the period. The main reason it was controversial.

I really don't know what else to say on this subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home