Name:
Location: Near Reading, Pennsylvania, United States

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Southern By The Grace Of God


I watched The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on VH 1 Tuesday night. I have always liked Lynard Skynard. But when I talk about my favorite bands they never seem to come up. However "Freebird" is and always has been one of my favorite songs.

They started to play it Tuesday night and I thought to myself. How many times have they played this song over the years? Hundreds or thousands? As far as I am concerned they never played it better than they did Tuesday night! Except possibly the original live version from 1976's "One More For The Road".

Guitarist Rickey Medlocke, who is not an original member,, played five minutes of the most intense guitar I have ever seen. It was such a great performance I had to stay up for the replay to see it again.

I have never had the honor if seeing Skynard in concert. But Tuesday it was an honor just to hear them play.

Classic lineup
Ronnie Van Zant, lead vocals & primary songwriter (from 1964 until death in 1977)
Allen Collins, guitar (from 1964 to 1977)
Gary Rossington, guitar (from 1964 to present)
Bob Burns, drums (from 1964 until 1974) Larry Junstrom, bass (from 1964 to 1972)
Leon Wilkeson, bass (from 1972 until death in 2001)
Ed King, guitar (from 1973 to 1975 and again from 1987-1995) (also, bass on first album)
Steve Gaines, guitar (from 1976 until death in 1977)
Billy Powell, keyboard (from 1973 to present)
Artimus Pyle, drums (from 1975-1992)
Cassie Gaines, JoJo Billingsley and Leslie Hawkins, background vocals
Present lineup

Johnny Van Zant, lead vocals
Gary Rossington, guitars
Billy Powell, keyboard
Ean Evans, bass
Rickey Medlocke, guitar (also played drums briefly in 1971)
Michael Cartellone, drums
Dale Krantz Rossington and Carol Chase, background vocals

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
Lynard Skynard Official Site

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home